d. Close the overboard discharge valve
8. Report deballasting secured.
9. Inert the MOGAS piping to 50% inertness with
nitrogen at 10 psi.
MOGAS SERVICING AND SECURING
As with receiving gasoline aboard, there are spe-
cific procedures to be followed to ensure safe and
efficient servicing with MOGAS.
The first step is to vent the system to the atmos-
phere. Follow the following procedures:
1. Make sure the following valves are closed:
a. MOGAS fill isolation valve.
b. PIA test connection valves.
c. Nz inerting supply valves.
d. Flow meter and filter bypass valves.
e. Stripping pump suction and discharge.
f. Steam-out connections.
2. Open the following valves:
a. Vehicle fueling station cutout valves.
b. Flow meter inlet and outlet valves.
c. Filter inlet and discharge valves.
d. Filter pressure gage cutout valves.
e. Transfer pump suction and discharge
f. Transfer pump gage cutout valves.
3. Set the flow meter to 0.
4. Report that the piping is aligned for venting inert
5. Monitor transfer pump discharge line pressure
and report when inert gas pressure is 0.
6. Vent into a 5-gallon safety can.
Stand clear of the nozzle when venting
inert gas into the atmosphere.
7. Secure the following valves when venting is
a. Transfer pump suction and discharge
b. Filter inlet and outlet valves.
To align the MOGAS system for transferring
MOGAS to vehicles, use the following procedures:
Sea Water Compensation System
1. Make sure the following valves are opened:
a. Seawater elevated loop overboard discharge
valve (must be locked open).
b. Seawater supply valve to the tank (must be
c. Seawater sea chest valve.
d. Sea water equalizing tank valve.
e. Seawater compensating pump discharge
2. Report that the seawater compensating system
3. Start the seawater compensating pump.
Transfer Pump Alignment
1. Open the following:
a. Transfer pump recirculating valves.
b. Recirculating valve to drawoff tank.
c. Draw-off tanktop valve.
d. Designated transfer pump suction valve.
e. Venturi recirculation valve.
2. Start the pump.
Do NOT operate the transfer pump when
the thermometer in the discharge header ex-
3. Report that the pump is started and recirculat-
4. SLOWLY open the pump discharge valve.
Filter Alignment (Do NOT vent the filter over-
board in port.)
1. Open the following:
a. Filter gage cutout valves.
b. Filter vent valve.