muscular effort or activity of the patient may
alternating current passes through the chest cavity,
result in heart failure.
it has the following effects:
4. Do not give stimulants or opiates. Send for
a medical doctor at once, and do not leave the
At 1 milliampere (0.001 ampere), you will
patient until adequate medical care is available.
feel the shock.
5. If the victim is not breathing, apply
artificial ventilation without delay, even though
At 10 milliamperes (0.01 ampere), the
the patient may be lifeless. Do not stop artificial
shock paralyzes muscles, and a person may
respiration until the victim revives, or proper
be unable to release the conductor.
authority pronounces the victim is beyond help.
At 100 milliamperes (0.1 ampere), the
shock is usually fatal if it lasts for
1 second or more. IT IS IMPORTANT
The three general classes of fires are A, B, and
TO REMEMBER THAT, FUNDA-
C. Class A fires involve wood, paper, cotton and
M E N T A L L Y , CURRENT, RATHER
wool fabrics, rubbish, and the like. Class B fires
T H A N VOLTAGE, IS THE CRITE-
RION OF SHOCK INTENSITY.
involve oil, grease, gasoline and aircraft fuels,
paints, and oil-soaked materials. Class C fires
involve insulation and other combustible materials
When a person is unconscious because of
in electrical and electronic equipment.
electrical shock, you can't tell how much current
Electrical or electronic equipment fires are
caused the condition.
caused by overheating, short circuits, friction
BEGIN ARTIFICIAL RESPIRATION
(static electricity), or radio-frequency arcs.
Also, equipment may ignite from exposure to
IMMEDIATELY IF BREATHING HAS
nearby class A or B fires. Since class C fires
involve electrical circuits, electrical shock is an
FIRST AID FOR ELECTRIC SHOCK. --
added hazardous condition. Whenever possible,
immediately de-energize any electrical equipments
Electric shock produces a jarring, shaking
exposed to class A or class B fires, or ignited
sensation. The victim usually feels like he/she just
by such a fire. If the equipment cannot be
received a sudden blow. If the voltage and
de-energized completely, use protective measures
resulting current is high enough, the victim may
to guard against electrical shock. Extinguishing
become unconscious. Severe burns may appear
agents other than gases contaminate delicate
on the skin at the place of contact. Muscular
instruments, contacts, and similar electrical
spasm may occur, causing the victim to clasp the
devices. Carbon dioxide (CO2) is the preferred
apparatus or wire causing the shock. If this
happens the victim is unable to release it.
Use the following procedures for rescuing and
little or no residue. It reduces the possibility of
caring for shock victims:
electrical shock to personnel and damage to
1. Remove the victim from electrical contact
A dry chemical extinguishing agent, composed
at once. DO NOT ENDANGER YOURSELF.
chiefly of potassium carbonate (Purple-K), can
Remove the victim by throwing the switch if it
be used on electrical fires. It is a nonconductor,
is nearby, or cut the cable or wires to the
which provides protection against electrical shock.
apparatus, using an axe with a wooden handle.
However, damage to electrical or electronic parts
(Protect your eyes from the flash when the wires
may result from the use of this agent.
are severed.) Also, you can use a dry stick, rope,
belt, coat, blanket, or any other nonconductor of
2. Determine whether the victim is breathing.
Keep the person lying down in a comfortable
Never use a solid stream of water to
position and loosen the clothing about the neck,
extinguish electrical fires in energized
chest, and abdomen for easy breathing. Protect
from exposure to cold, and watch closely.
Water usually contains minerals that make it
3. Keep the victim from moving. In this
condition, the heart is very weak. Any sudden