8. Ensure band, retainer, and release assembly are
9. Ensure the lanyard swivel is installed on
10. Ensure the release lanyard and housing and the
safety clip are not damaged.
11. Ensure the slotted spring (roll pin) is installed
and is properly seated and not protruding from the
Inspect the BSU-85/B fin (fig. 13-10) as follows:
1. Ensure safing pin assembly, safety latch pin, and
lanyard clip are properly installed
2. Ensure all setscrews are installed and flush with
inside surface of the forward ring.
3. Viewing the retarder from the open attachment
end, check that the rubber boots are secure and not
damaged (fig. 13-10).
4. Open the pressure vent cap, ensure the nose fuze
lanyard assembly is not damaged, and that the lanyard
swivel assembly is attached to the stowage spring clip
5. Ensure the safety latch is installed over the aft
cover tang, the release latch pivot pin is not damaged,
and the cotter pin is installed (fig. 13-10).
6. Ensure access cover is installed.
Installation of BSU-86 and BSU-85/B Fins
Install the BSU-86 and BSU-85/B fin assemblies to
GP bombs as follows:
1. Attach arming wire to aft lug (fig. 13-11).
Thread free end of Mk 3 arming wire from aft bomb lug
through MAU-182 swivel ring and arming wire hole in
top of fin.
2. Align fin behind bomb body with fin in the
3. Align pop-out pin or gagrod housing with
arming wire holes in top of fin.
4. Align index pin with hole in bomb body, and
press fin against bomb body.
5. Tighten all setscrews into groove in bomb.
6. On the BSU-85/B, remove access cover, and
inspect arming wire. Alternately pull wire from top and
bottom of retarder.
Figure 13-11.Mk 3 arming wire and swivel loop installation.