Assembly of Conical Fin to the Bomb
Prepare, inspect, and install a conical fin as follows
7. Attach the arming wire to the aft lug (fig. 13-8).
Thread the free end of Mk 3 arming wire from aft bomb
lug through MAU-182 swivel ring and arming wire hole
in top of fin.
8. Align fin behind bomb body with fin in the
Inspect fin for damage.
Ensure excess paint is removed from fin flange.
Ensure access cover is secure.
For a conical fin, retract all fin mounting
setserews until screws are flush with the inside of the
fin flange (all setscrews must be installed).
5. For a BSU-33 fin, ensure the clamp bolt on the
band is retracted.
6. Ensure index pin in fin flange is not damaged.
9. Align pop-out pin with arming wire hole in top
10. Thread arming wire through the hole in top of
the fin, and then through the fuze pop-out pin (fig. 13-6)
and through the hole in bottom of fin (Mk 376).
11. Remove safety pin from pop-out pin (Mk 376).
12. Thread arming wire through two Fahnstock
clips, gagrod, (fig. 13-6) and through the bottom of the
13. Thread arming wire through two Fahnstock
clips and the bottom of the fin, vertically align arming
wire with arming wire slots located on gagrod arming
wire housing (FMU-139A/B, B/B).
14. Push arming wire into arming wire housing.
15. Remove safety pin from gagrod.
Assembly of BSU-86 and BSU-85 Fins to GP
Inspect the BSU-86 fin (fig. 13-9) as follows:
1. Inspect fin for damage and improperly installed
or missing parts and corrosion.
2. Ensure that the restraining band is free of
corrosion. If damage is found or suspected, complete
steps 3 through 7; if no damage, proceed to step 8.
3. Remove cotter pin from fin latch; ensure latch
NOTE: If fins extend automatically at least 1/2
inch when the cotter pin is removed, and can be
extended to contact the shock absorber by hand,
the fin is operative.
4. Check that link pins and link pin retainers are
present, not damaged, and properly positioned in the
5. Close fins and clamp together with vise grip
6. Relatch the release band, and insert warning tag
Figure 13-7.BSU-33 series and MAU-93/B conical fins.
7. Remove vise grip pliers.