eye. Each eyepiece is adjustable through a range of +2
Each objective lens assembly is focused by
rotating the focus knob. The objective lens is screwed
into the mounting collar and the knob is attached to
the lens and held in place by the focus knob retainer.
Rotating the focus knob positions the objective lens
for viewing at desired ranges.
The eye relief adjustment allows the binocular
assembly to be moved within the frame for eye relief
and comfort. Clamp knobs, located on either side, can
be loosened by turning the knobs counterclockwise
and manually moving the frame to reposition the
binocular assembly with reference to the user's eyes.
The assembly is tightened into place by turning the
clamp knob clockwise.
The principles of operation are the same for the
AN/PVS 5A, 5B, and 5C. The operating phase of night
vision goggles consists of pre-operation, test
operation, and post-operation instructions.
1. Release the air pressure as instructed on the side
of the storage case.
2. Release the latches and open the storage case
and remove the goggles. Inspect the goggles for
3. Ensure the rotary switch is in the OFF position.
4. Use only one battery compartment at a time.
Insert battery/batteries (AN/PVS 5A uses only one
lithium battery; the AN/PVS 5B and 5C use either one
lithium battery or two alkaline batteries in one
compartment) and replace the cap.
5. Snap the headstrap to the face mask, making
sure all straps are extended to their maximum lengths.
Place the head strap on your head, grasp the straps with
both hands and slowly pull until the face mask cushion
touches your face. Continue pulling until the goggles
feel snug. Perform the same step for the vertical head
6. Remove the objective and eyepiece lens caps. If
demisting shields are used, snap them over the eyepiece
lens. Be careful not to smudge the eyepiece lens or
7. Loosen the lever clamp and adjust the
monoculars for proper distance between your eyes.
Tighten the clamps.
8. Loosen the clamp knob and adjust the binocular
assembly until the eyepieces are located a comfortable
distance from your eyes with proper tilt. Tighten both
Instructions for test operation:
1. Position the rotary switch to the ON position.
2. Loosen the lever clamp and adjust the goggles
for proper spacing between the monocular eyepieces.
Retighten the clamp.
3. Loosen both clamp knobs and adjust the goggles
for proper tilt and eye relief. Retighten the clamp knobs.
4. On the AN/PVS 5A and 5B, turn the focus knob
fully counterclockwise on each objective lens for
distant viewing. Adjust for the clearest view. The focus
knob may be turned fully clockwise to adjust for a
minimum focus of 10 inches. On the AN/PVS 5C
goggles, the focus function is part of the objective lens
assembly. To focus the goggles for the sharpest view,
grasp the outside of each objective lens assembly and
turn it to obtain the sharpest image.
5. Adjust each diopter ring until the image is sharp
(the diopter ring adjusts the diopter for each individual
user and does not require movement after initially set).
6. Pull and turn the rotary switch for IR operation
(optional test). Return the switch to ON for normal
operation. The rotary switch turns the goggles and IR
illuminator on and off. Be sure it is turned to OFF when
the goggles are not in use.
1. Remove the demisting shields, if installed, by
grasping them and pulling them off the eyepiece lenses.
Return them to their case.
2. Replace the objective and the eyepiece lens cap.
3. Ensure the rotary switch is in its OFF position.
Remove the battery (or batteries) from the battery
compartment(s) and return it to its case. Replace the
4. Inspect the face mask cushion for tears, cracks,
or missing snaps; also inspect the goggles for missing
5. Clean the goggles, carrying case, and shipping
case as necessary with fresh water. Ensure both cases
and liner are dry prior to storing the goggles in them.