Ammunition type is identified by the color the
projectile is painted and by the lettering on the body of
the projectile. Refer to (fig. 7-10 and table 7-4) for PGU
AMMUNITION CONTAINER M548
The M548 container (fig. 7-11) is made of metal.
Quick-release latches at both ends attach the lid.
Required information about the ammunition contained
inside is listed on the outside of the container. Do not
break the moisture-resistant seal between the lid and
the container until the ammunition is to be used.
Color of Painting
Color of Marking
Locations (See Figure 7-10)
Target Practice (TP)
Semi-Armor Piercing High
Target Practice Tracer (TP-T)
White with Orange
Ts (location D)
Table 7-4.Color Coding and Marking for PGU Configuration Ammunition.
1. DOD cartridge identification code
2. Federal stock number of cartridge
3. Symbol of cartridge manufacturer
4. "S" if steel cartridge case
5. Lot number of cartridge
6. Month and year of cartridge manufacture
7. Type and model of cartridge
8. Average weight of packed container
9. Type of projectile
10. Coast Guard classification
Figure 7-11.Ammunition container M548 (typical).