When you install rigid couplings, follow the steps
1. Fold back half of the sleeve seal and slip it onto
1. Slip the V-band coupling over the flanged tube.
2. Slide the sleeve (with the sleeve seal partially
installed) onto the line.
2. Place a gasket into one flange. One quick
rotary motion assures positive seating of the gasket.
3. Position the split sleeves over the line beads.
3. Hold the gasket in place with one hand while
4. Slide the sleeve over the split sleeves, and fold
the mating flanged tube is assembled into the gasket
over the sleeve seal so it covers the entire
with a series of vertical and horizontal motions to
assure the seating of the mating flange to the gasket.
5. Install the coupling over the sleeve seal and
NOTE: View B of figure 3-28 shows the proper
fitting and connecting of a rigid coupling using a metal
gasket between the ducting flanges.
shown in figure 3-28 is referred to as a V-band
4. While holding the joint firmly with one hand,
coupling. When you install this coupling in restricted
install the V-band coupling over the two flanges.
areas, some of the stiffness of the coupling can be
overcome by tightening the coupling over a spare set of
5. Press the coupling tightly around the flanges
flanges and a gasket to the recommended torque value
with one hand while engaging the latch.
of the joint. Tap the coupling a few times with a plastic
mallet before removing it.
Figure 3-28.--Installation of rigid line couplings.