· Turret AFFF shutoff valve Allows AFFF flow
familiar with the components, controls, and indicators,
you will understand the operation of the fire fighting
from the tank to the turret ratio controller and
system more effectively.
shuts off AFFF flow from the tank to allow water
only spray from the turret.
· System ready light Indicates water pump
· Handline hose reel tension adjustment knob
suction inlet is flooded and ready to pump.
Locks hose reel when not in use.
· Water pump on light Indicates water pump is
· Nursing line control valves Two 2 1/2-inch
National Fire Hose threaded fittings. Pull to
· STANDBY/OFF switch Turns the system
open valve to allow ships supplied fire-fighting
ready light on, energizes isolation control valve,
agent to flow to the inlet side of the water pump.
With the pump operating, the nursed agent can
film-forming foam) pump control valve.
be pumped to both the handline and the turret.
· Turret nozzle actuation lever Used to manually
change turret spray pattern from fog to straight
stream. Controlled manually and has two lock-
ing knobs to lock in vertically or horizontally.
The STANDBY/OFF switch must be in the off
· Turret direction control handle Used to
position when nursing or damage to the AFFF
manually direct turret up, down, left, or right.
pump could result (AFFF tank and pump could
· Joystick 0/150/250/500 gpm (gallons per
minute) Turns on the water pump to control the
· Water tank quick fill valve Pull to open to fill
water flow to the turret. The joystick can be
placed in any position from 0-500 gpm.
the vehicle water tank. Water tank capacity is
750 gallons. One 2 1/2-inch connection for
· Inlet flushing valve Opens AFFF piping for
servicing the vehicle's water tank.
inducing freshwater to flush the AFFF system. It
· Water tank drain valve Used to drain the water
is closed during normal operation.
tank. The valve is threaded to accept a hose
· Outlet flushing valve Opens AFFF piping to
expel freshwater and AFFF when flushing the
· Isolation valve cylinder Hydraulically
AFFF system. It is closed during normal opera-
operated cylinder extends to open isolation valve
and it is activated when STANDBY/OFF switch
· AFFF tank return shutoff valve Opens and
is positioned in standby mode.
closes AFFF return line to AFFF tank. It is
· Isolation valve When opened by the isolation
normally open and closed when flushing.
valve cylinder, the valve allows water from the
· AFFF suction shutoff valve Opens and closes
tank to flood the water pump via water tank
AFFF return suction line to AFFF pump. It is
check valve in preparation for water pump
normally open and closed during flushing.
· Water and AFFF line drain valves One for
· Water pump Centrifugal-type pump provides
pressure head for fire fighting system.
· Ratio controllers Mixes the water and AFFF as
· Handline AFFF shutoff valve Controls the
provided by the back pressure regulating valve.
flow to the AFFF ratio controller and shuts off
· Back pressure regulating valve Controls the
AFFF flow from the tank to allow water only
spray from the handline nozzle.
flow of AFFF to the ratio controllers by
balancing the pressures on the water side and on
· Handline shutoff valve Controls flow to the
the AFFF side of the system. The valve opens or
handline and is normally open. Should be used
closes in response to the pressure differences
only when performing maintenance or if the
allowing more AFFF into the system or back to
handline ruptures while in use.