Wheels repaired by welding must be NDI inspected,
Q2-40. Which of the following components must be
and must be replaced as soon as possible.
installed on a tire prior to removing it from
the item of SE?
The safety tag
The demountable flange
Here are a few safety precautions to remember
The valve stem
when working with support equipment tire and wheel
The deflated tire flag
Q2-41. What is the minimum required length of a
Always place wheels in an inflation cage or an
deflation tire flag pin?
OSHA approved equivalent restraining device for
initial inflation. Wheel assemblies sometimes explode
violently during initial inflation due to defects or
For aircraft tires used on support equipment, such
as the spotting dolly, only an approved aircraft tire
Q2-42. What are the two very specific pieces of
inflation cage should be used. (Aircraft tires are
equipment that are required to inflate a tire
typically inflated to 200 pounds, or more.)
after it has been assembled?
On dual wheel installations, the wheel not being
1. High pressure air and a tire inflator
serviced should be deflated to 15 psig prior to
loosening any wheel clamps.
2. An inflation cage and a tire inflator
Ensure that a tire is fully deflated before
3. An inflation cage and a pressure gauge
dislodging the tire beads.
4. A tire inflator assembly and nitrogen cart
Never exceed tire service pressure to seat beads.
Q2-43. There are procedures you must follow if there
Beads may strike flanges with enough force to break,
is significant tire pressure loss after how
jump the flange, or otherwise damage the tire.
For vehicles with disc brakes, wheels should be
installed using a torque wrench only. Impact wrenches
may distort the brake disc when used to tighten lug
Q2-38. Which of the following types of rims are NOT
Q2-44. When it becomes necessary to weld a wheel
used on SE?
assembly, repairs are limited to which of the
1. Limited to 1 weld, no longer than ½ inch
2. Limited to 2 welds, no longer than 1 inch
Demountable flange rims
Q2-39. In what direction should the lock rings of the
3. Limited to 1 weld, no longer than 1 inch
demountable flange rim be installed on the
4. Limited to 2 welds, no longer than 1/3
hub of a tow tractor that has more than one
wheel per side?
1. They should be installed so that they are
facing each other
2. They should be installed so that they are
facing away from each other
3. They should be installed so that both
rings are facing outboard
4. They should be installed so that both
rings are facing inboard