Naval personnel must have completed the following initial requirements:
Satisfactorily completed the FAA airman written test for Control Tower Operators
(CTO) (AC Form 8060-37/8080-2)
Be a graduate of a U.S. military air traffic controller formal basic course of
The following three certificates are issued to Navy air traffic controllers:
Airman written test for CTOs (AC Form 8060-37/8080-2) This airman certificate
signifies that the applicant has satisfactorily passed the FAA written examination
for Control Tower Operator. This is the minimum requirement for entry into the
AC field. This certificate is obtained upon successful completion of AC (A1)
CTO Certificate (AC Form 8060-1) This airman certificate is also administered
by the FAA. It indicates that the holder is qualified to perform the duties of a
control tower operator at a particular airport (e.g., NAS Whidbey Island, WA,
control tower). This certificate is issued after the individual has passed locally
ATCS Certificate (FAA Form 7220-1) This certificate is issued to Navy
personnel by the authority of the Chief of Naval Operations and authorizes the
holder to perform the duties as a Navy Air Traffic Controller. Each Navy controller
is required to have the ATCS certificate whether working in RADAR or the tower.
Navy controllers receive initial certificate upon successful completion of AC (A1)
Applicable ATCS Ratings
An ATCS rating is an endorsement to the ATCS Certificate (FAA Form 7220-1) that
signifies that the applicant has demonstrated the competence, qualifications, and skills
required to control air traffic at a specific location. The following contains a list of the
ATCS ratings that are documented on the back of the ATCS certificate:
1. APC Holder is qualified as an approach controller at a NONRADAR (manual)
approach control facility.
2. CATCC Holder is qualified at all operating positions of CCA.
3. FACSFAC Holder is qualified at all ATC operating positions of the FACSFAC.
4. AATCC Holder is qualified at all operating positions of AATCC.
5. TACC Holder is qualified at all operating positions of TACC.
6. BASEOPS Holder is qualified at all positions in base operations. This rating
can only be issued at Class 1 ATC facilities.
7. TOWER Holder is qualified at all operating positions in the tower.