Use of another runway is permissible if it will be operationally advantageous or if it is
requested by a pilot. If pilots prefer to use runways different from that which you specify,
they are expected to advise you accordingly.
Whenever you clear pilots for operations on a runway other than the advertised active
runway, you must state the runway number.
Give first priority to separating aircraft and issuing safety alerts as required in this order.
Good judgment shall be used in prioritizing all other provisions of this order based on
the requirements of the situation at hand.
Provide support to national security and homeland defense activities to include, but not
be limited to, reporting suspicious and/or unusual aircraft/pilot activities.
duties and other factors including limitations of RADAR, volume of traffic, frequency
congestion, and workload.
Provide air traffic control service to aircraft on a ―first come, first served‖ basis as
circumstances permit, except the following:
1. An aircraft in distress has the right of way over all other air traffic.
2. Provide priority to civilian air ambulance flights ―LIFEGUARD.‖ Air carrier/taxi
usage of the ―LIFEGUARD‖ call sign indicates that operational priority is
requested. When verbally requested, provide priority to military air evacuation
flights (AIREVAC, MEDEVAC) and scheduled air carrier/air taxi flights. Assist the
pilots of air ambulance/evacuation aircraft to avoid areas of significant weather
and turbulent conditions. When requested by a pilot, provide notifications to
expedite ground handling of patients, vital organs, or urgently needed medical
3. Provide maximum assistance to SAR aircraft performing a SAR mission.
4. Expedite the movement of presidential aircraft and entourage and any rescue
support aircraft as well as related control messages when traffic conditions and
5. Provide special handling as required to expedite Flight Check aircraft.
6. Expedite movement of NIGHT WATCH aircraft when NAOC (pronounced NA-
YOCK) is indicated in the remarks section of the flight plan or in air/ground
7. Provide expeditious handling for any civil or military aircraft using the code name
8. Provide expeditious handling of aircraft using the code name ―Garden Plot‖ only
when Central Altitude Reservation Function (CARF) notifies you that such priority
is authorized. Refer any questions regarding flight procedures to CARF for