NAVAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING PROFESSIONAL
DEVELOPMENT AND TECHNOLOGY CENTER
6490 SAUFLEY FIELD ROAD
PENSACOLA, FLORIDA 32509-5237
1 Oct 99
From: Commanding Officer, Naval Education and Training Professional
Development and Technology Center
Commander, Naval Education and Training
Commanding Officer, Naval Air Station, Pensacola
HOW TO PREPARE A STANDARD LETTER WITH SAMPLE SAME-PAGE
(a) SECNAVINST 5216.5D, Department of the Navy Correspondence Manual
(1) Example of a Standard Letter
1. This example of a standard letter lists all of the elements of the heading that may appear in a standard
letter. The From, To, and Subj lines must appear in every standard letter. Via, Ref, and Encl are
optional lines. Note that all letters in the subject line are capitalized.
2. Notice the spacing in the heading. The From, To, and Via lines are single-spaced. The spacing
between the Via and Subj, Subj and Ref, and Ref and Encl lines should be double-spaced. Separate
paragraphs should be double-spaced, while the text in individual paragraphs should be single-spaced.
B. A. SAILOR
1 Oct 99
Commanding Officer, NAS Pensacola, FL
To: Commander, Naval Education and Training
1. A same-page endorsement may be used when the entire endorsement will fit on the same page as the
basic letter, and when revisions will not be made to the endorsement. If in doubt, use a new-page
2. The basic letters SSIC, subject line, and basic identification symbols may be omitted in a same-page
endorsement. Ensure a copy of the endorsement is sent to the originator of the basic letter. Always
maintain a copy of endorsements for your official file.
NETPDTC Pensacola (N01)
M. A. SAILOR
Figure 2-2.Standard letter same-page endorsement.