Assembly of Rocket Components
Rocket components are assembled as discussed in
the following steps:
Shielding bands must be in place whenever
the rocket motor is out of or protrudes from
the launcher. Ensure the shielding band
covers the contact band but does not touch it.
1. Place detent lift arm in load position.
2. Push forward on aft end of rocket motor until
forward end of rocket emerges from launcher.
3. Slide shielding band (fig. 13-24) over motor and
hold against forward part of launcher; push motor
foward until locking tabs seat in the motor detent
grooves and not in the contact band groove.
NOTE: A standard rocket assembly tool kit
containing crowfoot wrenches, a torque
wrench, detent locking wrenches, chain
wrenches, and strap wrenches is available for
the assembly of 2.75-inch and 5.0-inch rockets.
4. Hold motor with strap wrench. Screw warhead
into motor and tighten securely with chain wrench until
the warhead seats 360 degrees.
5. Attach appropriate nose fuze and tighten.
Figure 13-24.5.0-inch rocket RADHAZ and electrostatic
6. Push rocket motor slowly into the tube until aft
end contacts aft stop.
7. Rotate detent lift arm to flare position.
8. Push the motor forward hard; pawl will engage
groove with audible click indicating positive
2.75-INCH AIRBORNE ROCKET
Unpacking and inspection of the warhead, fuzes,
and motor are essentially the same as for the 5.0-inch
rocket components discussed earlier in this chapter.
Assemble rocket components as follows:
1. Place rocket motor body in holding fixture (fig.
Figure 13-25.Holding fixture assembly.